Wednesday 13 July 2016

Review | My Husbands Wife ~ Amanda Prowse


Title: My Husband's Wife
Author: Amanda Prowse
Publisher: Head of Zeus
Published: July 2016


Once a week, Rosie Tipcott counts her blessings.

She goes to her favourite bench on the north Devon cliffs, gazes out at the sky, and thanks her lucky stars for the life that she has.

For Rosie is lucky.
After a troubled childhood, she grew up and won the jackpot: a wonderful husband, two mischievous daughters, and a neat house by the sea. She dedicates every waking hour to the happiness of her family.

But when her husband unexpectedly leaves her for another woman and takes the children, she must as the question: what is left in her life?

Can Rosie find the strength to rebuild herself? More importantly, does she even want to?


I've mentioned before I'm fairly new to the books by the brilliantly talented Amanda Prowse, in fact her last novel, Another Love, was my first. I did go on a mad buying spree and stock on on most of her back catalogue, but you know what my TBR is like - older books take a while to get through.

So when I had the chance to read and review My Husband's Wife, I didn't have to think twice!

When the book arrived, I was ever so tempted to stop my current read and dive straight in - but I resisted and when the time came I settled down with a cuppa and opened the first page.
Needless to say that the cuppa went stone cold!

As soon as I started reading I was immersed in the world of Rosie Tipcott.
Amanda Prowse has a brilliant way of story telling and I felt like I was a resident of Wollacombe and that I knew the Tipcott's personally!

I loved Rosie, she was just normal and completely focused on making her husband Phil and their children happy.
I have to mention the children here - Naomi and Leona.
My gosh I have never laughed so much at parts children have in books as I did with these two, they were a right pair of chatterboxes, asking questions and telling it straight. They were full of love and laughter yet as the story progessed we could see the worry and vulnerability children so often have when questions pop in to their heads.

Everything in Rosie's life is turned upside down by her husbands revelation, he leaves and through a series of events ends up taking the girls with him. Not only this but Rosie also questions the loyalties of her good friend and Phil's family.

The one person who is really on Rosie's side is her best friend from school, Kev, who also happens to be her brother in law. Yet he is off on some amazing adventure travelling the world and with Rosie's relationship with her Dad being strained she really is on her own - even more so after chat with Kev on one of his visits home.

I'll be completely honest here, I never read the synopsis before I started reading the book so the story line of Phil leaving was completely new to me and I enjoyed the element of shock and surprise as they seemed to have it all. 
That said, I did find a sub story line involving Rosie and Kev a little predictable - not that this mattered mind!

Amanda Prowse has a wonderful way of writing characters and stories that you just feel apart of. 
I love how a real life scenario is taken yet placed into a work of fictional wonder!
Despite guessing what some of the outcome was, My Husband's Wife was heartbreaking, heartwarming and uplifting all at once.

Amanda had me emotionally gripped - I laughed and I cried throughout as I turned the pages, one of the books you wish you hadn't read so fast, yet couldn't slowly for a need to know what happens.

Quite simply, My Husband's Wife was utterly captivating and brilliant!

Rating 5/5

Huge Thanks to Amanda, Simeon and all at Head of Zeus for supplying a hardback copy of
My Husbands Wife
in return for my honest review.



No comments:

Post a Comment