Thursday 10 March 2016

Review | Sleepless In Manhattan (From Manhattan With Love, Book 1) ~ Sarah Morgan

Buy

What if the person who broke your heart, is the only one who can help you find your future?
Great friends. Amazing Apartment. An incredible job. Paige has ticked off every box on perfect New York life checklist. Until disaster strikes and instead of shimming further up the career ladder, Paige is packing up her desk.
Her brother’s best friend Jake might be the only person who can help her put her life back together. He also happens to be the boy she spent her teen years pining after, and Paige is determined not repeat her past mistakes. But the more time she spends with Jake, the more Paige realises the one thing that was missing from her world all along. The perfect New York love story…

Why oh why have I not read a Sarah Morgan book before? Someone kick me please... 

Sleepless In Manhattan is a gorgeously wonderful love story that every romantic will devour when reading and is the first book in a new trilogy by Sarah Morgan, although I believe that you can read her books as standalone's - but why you'd want to do that I don't know!! 

The story is based on three friends, Paige, Frankie and Eva - not only do the girls live in the same apartment in New York (I LOVE NY based books by the way...) they also work together at Star Events. Right from the outset of the book it was clear how close the girls were and although this book primarily concentrated on Paige's story, Frankie and Eva are heavily featured.

Paige has had a tough life and just wants to live - throughout her childhood and teens her life was controlled through illness and overprotective parents. She has big dreams of getting a promotion and eventually running her own business one day, so when she moved to Manhattan she had to fight hard to live life the way she wanted as the over protectiveness now comes from her big brother Matt and his best friend, Jake.

When promotion turns to being let go from Star Events, the girls are devastated and it is Jake and eventually Matt, who pushes Paige to make the plunge and so the girls start up their own business - Urban Genie is born and Paige throws herself into making contacts but its a slow start. Jake offers her a lifeline and although reluctant to take help, she accepts and throws an event for his company that will gain her a networking opportunity to really get the business off the ground.

Urban Genie only plays a small part within this book. I enjoyed seeing how they set up the business - Paige is super organised, Frankie has an eye for floral and lighting appearances whilst Eva is a foodaholic who can come up with menu plans to make them stand out from others - and I'd like to see it featured a little more in the next two books as I'm sure they ex-boss will have something to say!

The main line to this story though, was Paige and Jake. The chemistry and electricity between them flew off the page right from the beginning of the book. Paige is totally in love with Jake and he to her but both of them have issues and pasts... not least the fact that Paige told him once how she felt and was majorly rejected, and he has promised Matt now to go there with his baby sister... talk about awkward! However, they do go there but it's not without a few hiccups... When Paige told him for the second time how she felt and he closed up, I really thought that their story might drag over to book two but I was pleasantly surprised with how it ended... 
That ending is like something out of a film and every girl's dream! 
Yes I sighed, Yes I grinned ridiculously...

The set of characters in Sleepless In Manhattan were brilliant.... I loved how close the group were, and when I say group I include Matt and Jake to Paige, Frankie and Eva - dinners and movie nights together to name a couple. I've already mentioned a bit about Paige but I enjoyed seeing her character grow stronger and more confident throughout the book. Matt was a solid character all the way through and the love for his sister shined through even if he was a tad OTT in making sure she was OK! Jake has his own secrets and heartache to tell, at first I thought he was a bit cocky but I really warmed up to him but it was Frankie and Eva that made me laugh out loud,
Frankie is hard and stubborn and doesn't believe in love where as Eva is a hopeless romantic and the two of them shouldn't work being complete opposites but with Paige making up the trio it worked well.

I've had a peek at the start of the next book in this series, Sunset In Central Park, and from what I can tell it focuses more on Frankie and Matt.. I can't wait!

Lozza's Book Corner is giving Sleepless In Manhattan 5 flowers!


I would like to thank Mira Books and Cara Thompson for an advanced copy via NetGalley and Paperback. This is my honest opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment