Wednesday 9 March 2016

Guest Review | Here We Lie ~ Sophie McKenzie

BUY


On holiday with family and her adoring fiancรฉ, Jed, Emily couldn't be happier. But overnight, the idyllic trip turns into a waking nightmare when one of the group is found dead in what appears to be a terrible accident. 


The devastated party returns to London to cope with their loss while trying to resume their normal lives. But new revelations shed a shocking light on the holiday tragedy and set Emily on a perilous journey to discover the truth about what happened. Soon a terrifying series of threats and lies bring her face to face with the dark truths at the heart of her family - and into life-threatening danger...



I'm not really sure what possessed me to pick up this book - I've never read anything by Sophie McKenzie before, and I generally prefer chick-lit to thrillers, however I am SO glad that I did. I have never been so gripped by a book, and all of its unexpected twists and turns.

The main character Emily is on holiday with her family and fiancรฉ Jed. All is going well until one morning, a member of the group is found dead in what seems like a tragic accident. This is when Emily tries to discover the truth, and her perfect life unravels around her.

This was an incredibly tense read, and every chapter left me desperate to know what happened next. The chapters are mainly written in the present time, through the eyes of Emily however there are also diary entries from the dead character which pieces bits of the story together. There are also some 'throwback' chapters which feature Emily's siblings.

At one point, I did come to the correct conclusion about the character death, however I doubted myself until the very end, thanks to Sophie's excellent plot twists. Even when you could work out the truth, there was still a shock at the end.  I found myself continuously gasping and shaking my head in awe - it's so rare to come across a book that sucks you right in, but this book is an absolute gem. I finished the book in a matter of hours as it was such a compelling read. I will definitely be reading more of her work in the future.

The characters are so well written - I found myself urging Emily to discover the truth, and I took a great dislike to the 'evil' people in the book. With such a captivating plot and set of characters, I definitely think 'Here We Lie' would make an excellent blockbuster.

In all honesty, I don't think my words do this book justice, and it's difficult to express how incredible it is without spoiling anything from it.  What I will say, is whether thrillers are your preferred genre of book or not, I highly recommend this gripping and well plotted read to anyone who wants to be completely sucked in by a book. 'Here We Lie' will leave you tearing your hair out and reading on in utter despair (but it's definitely worth every minute of stress!)

5 (thousand) flowers ๐Ÿ˜‚๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ

I would like to thank Katrina for her amazing review and in light of her flower rating I feel it would be utterly wrong of me not to award the PowerFlower status and add this book to our extra special books page!



No comments:

Post a Comment